This fun lace poncho is designed using Unique Yarn by Lion Brand Yarns, in Cornucopia . Unique produces amazing color changes to add even more interest to this lacy pattern. The Unique Lace Poncho is constructed with two identical panels that are then seamed together. The poncho is finished with a simple single crochet edging.
- This post contains affiliate links. You can click on any yarn or material highlighted to purchase
4 skeins of Lion Brand Yarns Unique in Cornucopia or your choice of colorway
or 436 yards #5, Bulky, 100% Acrylic, 3.50 oz./100 g (109 yd/100 m
9.00mm (M) hook or hook needed to obtain gauge
6.00mm (J) hook for finishing neckline
Misses (S, M and L) and Plus size (1x, 2x and 3x)
In pattern (for swatch follow pattern exactly as written, except substitute 19 fsc) until 6” is reached, measure inside swatch.
13 sts and 7 rows = 5”
ch(s) – chain(s), sc – single crochet, dc – double crochet, st(s) – stitch(es), BLO – back loop only, RS – right side,
fsc– foundation single crochet
Ch2. Insert hook in first ch *yarn over and pull up loop (2 loops on hook), yarn over and pull through 1 loop, creating a chain, (this is an important step but easy to forget). Yarn over again and pull through two remaining loops on hook. This completes the first fsc. To stitch the next fsc insert the hook into the chain made in the first fsc and repeat from *
• Ch 3 is considered the first dc, second dc will be placed in the same st to create [2dc in same st]
• Ch 1 is not considered the first sc, first sc will be placed in the first st of each sc row. For rounds, join yarn in the first sc made, skipping over the ch 1.
• Pattern is written in Misses size, changes for Plus size are in parenthesis
• Save all weaving in of ends till the end of pattern
Panels (make two)
Row 1 (RS): FSC 37 (43)
Row 2: Ch 3, turn, 1dc in same st, skip next fsc, ch 1, *dc next fsc, skip 1, ch 1, repeat from * to last 2fhdc, skip next dc, 2dc in the last fsc.
Row 3: Ch 1, turn, 1sc in the first st, 1sc in next st, *[ch 6, skip 2dc, sc next dc], repeat from * to last 2dc, sc in each of the last 2dc.
Row 4: Ch 3, turn, 1dc in same st, ch 1, *[dc, ch 1, dc, ch1,] in next ch-6 sp, dc in next sc, ch 1, repeat from * to last ch 6 space, [dc, ch1, dc, ch1] in final ch-6 sp, 2dc in last sc.
Row 5: Ch 3, turn, dc in same st, ch 1, skip next dc, *dc in next dc, ch 1, repeat from * to last 2dc, skip next dc, 2dc in the last dc.
Row 6: Ch 1, turn, 1sc in the first st, 1sc in next st, *ch 6, skip 2dc, sc next dc, repeat from * to last 2dc, sc in each of the last 2dc.
Row 7: Ch 3, turn, 1dc in same st, ch 1, *[dc, ch 1, dc, ch1,] in next ch-6 sp, dc in next sc, ch 1, repeat from * to last ch 6 space, [dc, ch1, dc, ch1] in final ch-6 sp, 2dc in last sc. Do not fasten off.
Next 39 (42) rows: Repeat rows 5, 6, 7 consecutively 13 (14) more times.
Next Row: Ch1, turn, 1sc in every st and ch across. Fasten off.
• Place RS facing down on clean surface, as pictured.
• Mattress st panel one and panel two together
• Match A to A and B to B and mattress st together
• Fasten off.
• Turn seamed poncho so that RS is facing out.
• Using 6.00m (J) hook, attach yarn with sl st in any st of the neck line of poncho (in back)
Round 1: Ch1, sc in next st, sc evenly around entire neck opening, approx. 2sc in each dc row end and 1sc in each sc row end.
• Mark center “V” of neckline on both sides and shoulder (highest point) of neckline on both sides.
Round 2: Ch 1, sc in next sc, sc in every st around. Over each shoulder marker; sc2tog two time(s), move stitch markers up to first sc2tog. Over each center “V” marker sc2tog one time and remove st markers.
Round 3: Ch 1, sc in the next sc, *sc in each st until you reach the ms; sc2tog starting in the ms, repeat from * around. Fasten off.
• Using 9.00mm (M) hook, attach yarn with sl st in any row end of hem (in back)
Round 1: Ch 1, sc in next st, sc evenly around entire hem, approx. 2sc in each dc row end and 1sc in each sc row end.
Round 2: Ch 1, sc in next sc, sc in every st around. Fasten off.
Weave in all ends. Block lightly as needed.
Unique Yarn by Lion Brand is available for purchase HERE
Lorene Eppolite is the designer behind Cre8tion Crochet and has been designing since October 2012. She loves to create fun and easy crochet accessories and garments and strives to make her designs to be achievable for any skill level. Just because it is easy, doesn’t mean it can’t be beautiful. Lorene was named one of the Top Ten Designers by The Yarn Box in 2012, by AllFreeCrochet in 2013 and two of her patterns appeared in the Top 100 of 2014 for AFC where she was named a Top Blogger. Lorene has many patterns published by Red Heart Yarns.