Free Valentine’s Day Heart Pattern
Layered Daisy in a Heart
This pattern will be the last of my free Valentine’s Day Heart Patterns. This Daisy in a Heart can be used any time of the year as a applique for a hat or scarf, on a baby blanket or even as a pin.
- Red Heart yarn or any worsted weight yarn
- 4.0mm crochet hook, or hook to give desired size (5.0 will make a larger applique)
- embroidery needle to weave in ends
Increase- two of the designated stitch per space
Pattern is written in steps as opposed to rows or rounds
You can use any worsted weight yarn for this project but keep in mind that different companies, and even different colors within the same company can have different thickness’ and as such each heart will be slightly different in size.
- Start with a 12” long tail (long tail not needed if you are using heart for bunting or for a pin)
- Create a magic circle (tutorial here), place 5 sc in the magic circle, join round with sl st
- In front loops ONLY sc around increasing in every sp for 10sc
- In back loops (be sure to crochet in back loops of the 1st round and not in the back loops of the 2nd round you just crocheted), sc around increasing in every sp for 10sc
- In front loops only of the second round, *4hdc in 1st sp, 1sl st in next sp. Repeat from * around, join round with sl st <5 petals>
- In back loops of second round (again not the 3rd round that you just crocheted) sc around increasing in every sp for 20sc, join round with sl st
- In front loops only of third round, 1sl st into 1st sp, *3hdc in next sp, 3hdc in next sp, skip 1 sp, 1sl st in next sp. Repeat from* around. Join round with sl st. <5> petals
- Change color here if you’d like the heart to be a different color than the daisy. Attach new color with a sl st prior to completing first stich in round, tie tail of old color to tail of new color to secure.
- In back loops of the third round, sc around as follows (each space is separated by a comma)
- 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc & 1hdc, 2hdc, 2dc, 2hdc, 1sl st, 1sl st, 1 sl st, 2hdc, 2dc, 2hdc, 1hdc & 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1hdc, 1dc, 1hdc, join round with sl st
- In both loops crochet around as follows (each space is separated by a comma) 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 2sc, 1sc & 1hdc, 2hdc, 2dc, 2hdc, 1sl st, SKIP 1, 1sl st, 2hdc, 2dc, 2hdc, 1hdc & 1sc, 2sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1hdc, 2dc, 1hdc, join round with sl st
- Fasten off and weave in end. Secure center tail and leave long for fastening to finished piece (or weave in if using heart for bunting)
*For added stability and finished look one row of sl st can be placed around heart, either in same color or in a different color.
I prefer the way it looks when the sl st is placed in the back loops only. However if you use this method you should sl st in both loops at the center (indent) part of the heart and do a sc instead at the tip (point) of the heart.
I hope you enjoyed this Free Valentine’s Day Heart Pattern. As Always…
You may also enjoy these other free crochet patterns for Valentine’s Day