5 years ago, The Craft Yarn Council, started I Love Yarn Day as a way for yarn fiber artists to pass on their love of their craft and to encourage crafters to “stitch it forward” by teaching others crochet or knit.
This year I Love Yarn Day is Saturday, October 17th, 2015
There are lots of ways for you to get involved, but most importantly the Craft Yarn Council is encouraging knitters and crocheters around the world to Stitch It Forward by inspiring them to teach at least one other person how to knit or crochet and spread the joy of these crafts. Here are some great beginner crochet patterns to get you started. You can also check out these special activities.
Other ways you can get involved are:
1. Visit ILYD on Social Media: Check out the ILYD Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest pages to join in the official countdown to ILYD and find ideas for how to #StitchItForward including fun ways to celebrate yarn, tips for teaching others how to knit and crochet, free patterns, giveaways and more!
2. Enter our I Love Yarn Day contest on Instagram! The most creative and fun photos representing how to #stitchitforward will win yarn and book prizes.
Make sure you use the #ILYD2015 and #stitchitforward hashtags on your photos. Contest runs 9/8/15 – 10/24/15. Check out the rules at the ILYD website.
• The most people taught in a photo
• The youngest person taught
• The oldest person taught
• The biggest Stitch It Forward Failure
• The funniest location for teaching
3. Promote CYC’s I Love Yarn Day video contest on Facebook and YouTube! The most creative video will have the chance to win yarn, accessories, books, and online class subscriptions!
1. Subscribe to the Craft Yarn Council YouTube Channel and follow the ILYD Facebook.
2. Upload a video, two minutes max, on Facebook or YouTube sharing your passion for yarn and what
gets you excited about I Love Yarn Day! You must include the words I Love Yarn Day 2015 Video Contest in the description.
3. Videos posted on Facebook must include the hashtags #stitchitforward and #ILYD2015.
4. Videos will be judged based on creativity. There will be one Grand prize winner and 2 runners up.
The contest runs 9/09/15 – 10/24/15. Check out the rules at the ILYD website.
Free Beginner Crochet Patterns to help you teach someone to crochet
And check out this giveaway offered by Cre8tion Crochet, it is perfect to gift to someone learning to crochet