Enter the CGOA Design Competition
Have you ever heard of the Crochet Guild of America (CGOA)? There are lots of member benefits including a free subscription to Crochet! Magazine. My favorite benefit of being a member of the CGOA is attending their yearly conferences and participating in the Design Competition.
This year I will have the honor of organizing the Design Competition along with my good friend Jessie Rayot of Jessie at Home.
I will also be entering my own designs. I am NOT a judge in the competition, I’m just organizing the entries, this means I will receive and transport all entries to the show. I will also be setting up the entries for judging and viewing along with Jessie.
Below I have compiled some FAQ but please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any additional questions. I look forward to seeing your entries.
Why should I enter the 2016 CGOA Design Competition?
CASH prizes and notoriety. If you are a designer this is also a great opportunity to get your designs featured in front of magazine editors and yarn companies who are looking for designers.
Do I need to be a crochet designer?
NO, you can be a crochet enthusiast/hobbyist or a designer.
What are the categories?
There will be 7 judging categories this year plus a bonus category:
1. Fashion: garments (not accessories), including sweaters, tops, jackets, vests, skirts and dresses.
2. Accessories: including wraps, scarves, cowls, socks, mittens, hats, bags, belts and jewelry.
3. Home Décor and Afghans: items primarily for the home, including afghans and throws, baby blankets.
4. Thread Crochet: anything made in crochet thread or fine/lace weight yarn (CYC category #0/Lace); this category may overlap other categories, and includes doilies, garments, baby clothes, accessories.
5. Artistic Expression: items more artistic in nature, including free-form and mixed media pieces, wall hangings, wearable art.
6. Young Designer: anything designed with yarn and/or crochet thread by members 25 years old and younger. Designer may turn 26 in the year of the competition. As long as sometime during the year 2015 he or she was 25.
7. First Time Entrant/Non-Professional: anything designed with yarn and/or crochet thread by someone who has never entered the design competition before and is not a crochet professional. Non-professionals have not had any of their crochet designs published in print or PDF format.
Bonus Category – Pineapples: This year’s conference theme is pineapples! If your entry contains pineapples there will be a box you can check on the entry form to indicate this so your entry can also be judged in this category as well.
What are the cash prizes?
Cash prizes will be awarded: one $1,000 Grand Prize, and for each of the 7 judging categories one $300 First Prize, one $200 Second Prize and one $100 Third Prize. There will also be special awards including, but not limited to: $100 People’s Choice (to be chosen by attendees voting on site) and $200 Technical Merit.
Do I need to be a member to enter
Yes, you must be a member of the CGOA to be eligible to enter the contest. There is a $35 yearly fee for which you will receive many benefits. Please check out this page for more information on the design competition and to become a member of the Crochet Guild of America.