I LOVE this design so much. This pattern had a lot of firsts for me. This was the first time I used With Love Chunky (I love it by the way), the first time I used any faux fur, I used Hygge Fur and it was so nice to work with, and it was the first time I made this style of cardigan. Typically I make my cardigans longer but I set out to make this one fit like a true bomber jacket.
The Bombs Away Cardigan was originally offered as the March design for my yearly membership, A Year in Crochet. I’m super excited to share it publically now.
Through this weekend only you can get this new pattern at 50% off on either Ravelry or Etsy. Use promo code bombsaway. As of April 20th this pattern will be available at full price.
The Bombs Away Cardigan is a cute and stylish short cropped cardigan that’s perfect for slightly cooler weather. It sits right above the hip level with the ability to lengthen if so desired. The fur trimming and pull-able cord on the hood adds a trendy element of style that is sure to please.
With Love Chunky by Red Heart Yarns available on Yarnspirations
Total Color A – sample uses Taupe
(3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7) skeins
Total Color B – sample uses Papaya
2 (2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5) skeins
5 (6, 6, 7, 8, 8, 9, 10, 12) skeins
Plus Hygge Fur by Red Heart Yarns available on Yarnspirations
One skein – sample uses Sienna
OR you can use an alternate yarn, some suggestions can be found here
461 (524, 582, 652, 730, 817, 915, 1025, 1148) yards
298 (339, 377, 422, 472, 529, 592, 663, 743) yards
759 (862, 958, 1073, 1202, 1346, 1507, 1688, 1891) yards
Plus Faux Fur 260 yards
L/7.0mm- I always use Furls
Skilled Beginner to Intermediate
FINISHED SIZE or SIZE(S)
XS- 5X -follows CYC Standard Sizes- for more information click here
Bust Underarm Depth
32 (36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64)” 6.5 (7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5)”
Waist Upper Arm
26 (28.5, 32, 36, 40, 44, 47, 49, 52)” 10.25 (10.75, 11.5, 12.5, 14, 16, 17.5, 19, 19)”
36 (38, 42, 46, 50, 55, 57, 59, 64)” 8.25 (8.5, 8.5, 8.75, 8.75, 9.25, 9.25, 9.75, 9.75)”
Length to Waist Total Length
15.5” all sizes – or desired 19” all sizes – or desired
9 sts and 7.5 rows = 4″
Ch – chain, hdc – half double crochet, RS – right side, sc – single crochet, MS- marked st, sl st – slip st, st(s) – stitch(es), WS – wrong side
Fhdc- Foundation Half Double Crochet – Tutorial
Chain 3 (counts as first fhdc). Yarn over (YO) and insert hook in 3rd chain from hook *YO and pull up loop (3 loops on hook), YO and pull through 1 loop creating a chain, (this is an important step but easy to forget), YO and pull through all three loops on hook. This completes the second fhdc (remember your first ch3 counted as the first fhdc). To stitch the next fhdc, yarn over and insert the hook into the chain made in the 2nd fhdc and repeat from * to desired length or until the desired amount of sts are achieved.
Hdc2tog- half double crochet two together– variation 1
Yarn over (YO), insert hook into first stitch (st), pull up a loop, 3 loops on hook. YO, insert hook into next st, pull up a loop, 5 loops on hook. YO, pull through all 5 loops on hook.
Hdc2tog- half double crochet two together– variation 2
Yarn over (YO), insert hook into first stitch (st), pull up a loop (3 loops on hook), insert hook into next st, pull up a loop (4 loops on hook), YO, pull through first 2 loops, YO and pull through remaining 3 loops on hook
- Pattern is written in size XS with changes for S, M, L, 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x and 5x in parentheses.
- If only one number is shown it pertains to all sizes.
- Pattern is designed top-down in turned rows. Sleeves are written in turned rounds.
- Ch 2 counts as the first hdc.
- Ch 1 does not count as the first sc.
- Be VERY mindful of the raglan corners, they do not increase the same throughout. Double increases are along the front panels only.
- Stitch counts are shown in <brackets> in each row where a change takes place.
- Chains are not included in st count.
- There are two different variations for the hdc2tog listed in the special stitches, you can use whichever one you prefer.
- Color changes/stripes are optional. In sample shown (medium) Rows 12, 13, 14, 17, 18 and 21 are done in Color B. For larger sizes: this will affect the sleeves as well. If you prefer to add the stripes after the yoke is worked, as shown in sample, you will have less rows to complete the stripes.