Newborn Handspun Beanie
This beanie was made with gorgeous handspun yarn from Spinning Wheel Studio. I chose the skinny singles yarn Pretty Pretty Princess. It came in 82 yds of pink, lavender and mint merino wool sparkle. You can read more about this delicious handspun yarn and the maker here.
This hat is perfect for a photo prop or as a gift for a sweet newborn. It is designed to fit a newborn but have enough stretch to accommodate a baby up to 3-4 months old.
Hand wash only, cool water
Lay flat to dry
Cost of Materials:
$16.50-$18.00 for an 82-84 yards hank- can make two hats
less than 20 mins per hat
Recommended Retail Price:
I would sell this hat for no less than $25, based on the cost of materials, since it works up quickly but you could sell it for more if the market allows
first two rounds =3”
18.5” in circumference
Handspun yarn in Skinny Singles (2 hats can be made with 82 yards)
5.5mm (I) hook
embroidery needle to weave in ends
Abbreviations and Stitches Used:
mc/r– magic circle/ring (watch this video tutorial)
sl st– slip stitch
insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch, (two loops on hook), pull loop closest to hook through other loop
dc– double crochet
yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through first two loops on hook, yarn over and pull through last two loops
- Mc/r. Ch2 and place 12dc in ring. Sl st into the top of the first dc to join round.
- Ch2. Skip 1st st. 2dc in next st and in every st around. Last 2dc will be placed in the st previously left empty. Sl st into the top of the 1st dc to join round. <24> (should measure 3”)
- Ch2. Skip 1st st. *1dc in the next 2sts. 2dc in the next st. Repeat from * around. Last 2dc will be placed in the st previously left empty. Sl st into the top of the 1st dc to join round. <32>
- Ch2. Skip 1st st. 1dc in next st and every st around. Last dc will be placed in the st previously left empty. Sl st into the top of the 1st dc to join round. <32>
- Repeat round 4 four more times. (8 rows total for hat). Should measure 4 ½ to 4 ¾ inches. Fasten off and finish with my invisible finish method.
I hope you enjoyed this free crochet pattern for a handspun newborn beanie. If you like what you see please share. Also be sure to check out the creator of the yarn used, my featured guest Tricia from Spinning Wheel Studio.
Have fun and as always….