The Childrens Shell poncho is great for any weather. Set your colors free and see what combinations you come up with.
With Love by Red Heart Yarns
(colors used in main picture are) Daffodil, Mango, Candy Pink
Approx 200 yards total for size S-M
Approx 275 yards total for size L-XL
6.0mm (J) hook- or hook needed to obtain gauge
Stitch Markers (optional)
• Pattern is written in size S-M, changes for L-XL are in parentheses .
• <brackets> and end of rows contain stitch counts for that row.
• Beginning of pattern will be worn as the back of poncho.
• Each round will end with a Sl st into the Ch3 unless otherwise noted.
• Each SH, INC SH or CNR SH will be placed in the Ch2 or Ch3 space of previous shell. To start each new round Sl st into Ch space to begin.
• From Round 4 till end you will only be increasing in two of the four corners, one increase in front and one increase in back. The other two corners will be CNR SH (see special stitches) which will make the shoulders fitted as opposed to squared off.
• To change color; on the last sl st into the Ch space, pick up new color instead of working color and work as normal (tie tails of old color to color to secure).
• You may want to mark your four corners with stitch markers. Move them to the next row as you work.
Gauge – measure in pattern
4 shells across and 8 shell rows = 6”
Designed to Fit
Neck opening 16” or less
Neck opening 18” or less
[2dc. Ch2. 2dc] in same st/space. First SH of every round will be [Ch3. 1dc. Ch2. 2dc] in same st/space.
INC SH- Increase Shell
1dc. Ch2. 2dc. Ch3. 2dc. Ch2. 1dc] in same st/space.
CNR SH- Corner Shell
[2dc. Ch3. 2dc] in same st/space.
Work in Pattern
SH in every SH (or Ch2). CNR SH in every CNR SH (or Ch3). Over INC SH work as follows; SH in first Ch2. CNR SH in center/Ch3. SH in next Ch2.
Click HERE to add this pattern to your Ravelry Favorites
Click HERE to Pin It for later
Round 1: With CA- Loosely Ch52 (56). Join with Sl st to form a ring (be sure not to twist chain). Ch6. *1dc in the same st and each of the next 13 (14)sts. Ch3**. Repeat from * to ** three more times. On last repeat, omit the Ch3 at end. Sl st into the 3rd ch of Ch6 to join. <4 sections of 14dc (15dc) with (4) Ch3 corner spaces> 16″ (18″) If your first round is smaller than this, please rework it using a larger hook or looser chain. Be sure to switch back to correct size hook for pattern.
Round 2: Sl st into the next ch space and [Ch5. 2dc. Ch3. 2dc. Ch2. 1dc]. *Skip 4 (3)sts. SH in next st. Repeat from * until you reach the next corner Ch. INC SH in in next Ch3**. Repeat from * to ** three more times. On last repeat omit the last INC SH and Sl st into the 2nd ch of the Ch5 to join. <8 (12) SH and 4 INC SH>
Round 3: Work in pattern. <20 (24) SH>
Round 4: MAKE SURE YOU PAY ATTENTION IN THIS ROUND. SH in first SH. *INC SH in next corner Ch3. Work in pattern until next corner/Ch3. CNR SH in corner/Ch3. Work in pattern until next corner/Ch3. INC SH in corner/Ch3. Work in pattern until next corner/Ch3. CNR SH in corner/Ch3. Work in pattern until end. <16 (20) SH. 2 CNR SH and 2 INC SH>
Round 5: Work in pattern. <24 (28) SH>
Rounds 6-15 (19): Repeat Rounds 4 & 5 Consecutively (each repeat will add 4 shells). Color changes can be made wherever you choose. Fasten off and weave in ends.
Adult version is also available on Ravelry for $5.95
ON SALE NOW for 50% off. Add pattern to cart and use promo code “addict” at check out!
Sale ends Thursday October 1, 2015 at 11:59pm EST