Crochet Flower in a Heart
This crochet flower in a heart is great for adding to any finished product, baby blanket, hat, scarf and makes a great Valentine’s Day pin. Instructions for making into a pin are at the bottom of the pattern. Also makes a great Valentine’s Day decoration when used as bunting.
I am proud to say that this heart (according to my testers) is different than the other heart patterns out there and is a unique design that gives great results. There are many possible variations with this pattern. Be sure to play around and see what you come up with.
- Red Heart yarn or any worsted weight yarn
- 4.0mm crochet hook
- embroidery needle to weave in ends
Increase- two of the designated stitch per space
- Pattern is written in steps as opposed to rows or rounds
- You can use any worsted weight yarn for this project but keep in mind that different companies, and even different colors within the same company can have different thickness’ and as such each heart will be slightly different in size.
Start with a 12” long tail (long tail not needed if you are using heart for bunting or for a pin)
- Mc/r with 5sc, join round with sl st
- In front loops ONLY sc around increasing in every sp for 10sc
- In back loops (be sure to crochet in back loops of the 1st round and not in the back loops of the 2nd round you just crocheted), sc around increasing in every sp for 10sc
- In front loops only of the second round, hdc around increasing in every sp for 20hdc
- In back loops of second round (again not the 3rd round that you just crocheted) sc around increasing in every sp for 20sc
- In front loops only of third round, dc around increasing in every other sp for 30dc
- In back loops of the third round, sc around as follows (each space is separated by a comma)
- 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc & 1hdc, 2hdc, 2dc, 2hdc, 1sl st, 1sl st, 1 sl st, 2hdc, 2dc, 2hdc, 1hdc & 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1hdc, 1dc, 1hdc, join round with sl st
- In both loops crochet around as follows (each space is separated by a comma) 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 2sc, 1sc & 1hdc, 2hdc, 2dc, 2hdc, 1sl st, SKIP 1, 1sl st, 2hdc, 2dc, 2hdc, 1hdc & 1sc, 2sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1hdc, 2dc, 1hdc, join round with sl st
- Fasten off and weave in end. Secure center tail and leave long for fastening to finished piece (or weave in if using heart for bunting) I recommend using my invisible finish method for a professional look.
*For added stability and finished look one row of sl st can be placed around heart, either in same color or in a different color.
I prefer the way it looks when the sl st is placed in the back loops only. However if you use this method you should sl st in both loops at the center (indent) part of the heart and do a sc instead at the tip (point) of the heart.
Two toned and all one color both with sl st crochet around edges in back loops only
I hope you enjoyed this free crochet flower in a heart pattern. For different variations you can do sc’s only in the “flower” portion of the heart, making more of a spiral than a flower as seen here.
Or you can make these hears with embroidery thread and make these adorable
Flower in a Heart Pin
If you like what you see please share it.
Happy Heart Hookin’