Free Crochet Heart
This free crochet heart pattern is great for adding to any finished product, baby blanket, hat, scarf and makes a great Valentine’s Day pin. Instructions for making into a pin are at the bottom of the pattern. Also makes a great Valentine’s Day decoration when used as bunting.
I am proud to say that this heart (according to my testers) is different than the other heart patterns out there and is a unique design that gives great results.
Red Heart yarn or any worsted weight yarn
4.0mm crochet hook
embroidery needle to weave in ends
Abbreviations and Stitches used:
mc/r– magic circle/ring
sl st– slip stitch
insert hook, yarn over, pull through, (two loops on hook), pull loop closest to hook through other loop
sc– single crochet
insert hook, yarn over, pull through (two loops on hook), yarn over, pull through both loops
hdc– half double crochet
yarn over, insert hook, yarn over, pull through (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through all three loops
dc– double crochet
yarn over, insert hook, yarn over, pull through (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through first two loops on hook, yarn over and pull through last two loops
Increase– two of the designated stitch per space
You can use any worsted weight yarn for this project but keep in mind that different companies, and even different colors within the same company can have different thickness’ and as such each heart will be slightly different in size.
- Start with a 12” long tail (long tail not needed if you are using heart for bunting or for a pin)
- Mc/r with 8sc, join round with sl st
- Increase (2sc) in every stitch for 16sc, join round with sl st
- Crochet around as follows (each space is separated by a comma) 1sc, 1sc, 2hdc, 2dc, 2hdc,1 sl st, 1sl st, 1sl st, 2hdc, 2dc, 2hdc, 1sc, 1sc, 1hdc, 1dc, 1hdc. Join round with sl st
- Crochet around as follows (each space is separated by a comma) 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc & 1hdc, 2hdc, 2dc, 2hdc, 1sl st, skip 1, 1sl st, 2hdc, 2dc, 2hdc, 1hdc &1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1hdc, 2dc, 1hdc. Join round with sl st.
- Fasten off and weave in end. Secure center tail and leave long for fastening to finished piece (or weave in if using heart for bunting) I recommend using my invisible finish method for a professional look.
*For added stability and finished look one row of sl st can be placed around heart, either in same color or in a different color.
I prefer the way it looks when the sl st is placed in the back loops only. However if you use this method you should sl st in both loops at the center (indent) part of the heart and do a sc instead at the tip (point) of the heart.
Hearts on Fire Variation
Follow the above pattern but change colors on every round. Tie end of new color to end of old color on each round to secure.
To Make Heart into a Pin
Cut two circles of the same size out of felt (I used the thread spool to trace around)
Sew pin to one piece of felt
Whip stitch other piece of felt onto back of finished flower/ heart
Whip stitch the piece of felt with the pin attached to the piece of felt that is sewn onto the flower/ heart