FREE Valentine’s Day Crochet Patterns
Crochet Heart Pin/ Brooch
This pattern is made the same way as my flower in a heart pattern, but in miniature. It uses embroidery thread and a 1.50mm hook instead.
It is easy and quick to make and makes an adorable pin for Valentine’s Day. Great to give as small gifts.
- embroidery thread in your choice of colors
- 1.50mm crochet hook
- small needle to weave in ends and fasten to pin
- pin/brooch finding
Increase– two of the designated stitch per space
- Pattern is written in steps as opposed to rows or rounds
- You can use any yarn or thread, your size will just vary
Start with a 12” long tail (long tail not needed if you are using heart for bunting or for a pin)
- Mc/r with 5sc, join round with sl st
- In front loops ONLY sc around increasing in every sp for 10sc
- In back loops (be sure to crochet in back loops of the 1st round and not in the back loops of the 2nd round you just crocheted), sc around increasing in every sp for 10sc
- In front loops only of the second round, sc around increasing in every sp for 20sc
- In back loops of second round (again not the 3rd round that you just crocheted) sc around increasing in every sp for 20sc
- In front loops only of third round, hdc around increasing in every other sp for 30hdc
- In back loops of the third round, sc around as follows (each space is separated by a comma)
- 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc & 1hdc, 2hdc, 2dc, 2hdc, 1sl st, 1sl st, 1 sl st, 2hdc, 2dc, 2hdc, 1hdc & 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1hdc, 1dc, 1hdc, join round with sl st
- In both loops crochet around as follows (each space is separated by a comma) 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 2sc, 1sc & 1hdc, 2hdc, 2dc, 2hdc, 1sl st, SKIP 1, 1sl st, 2hdc, 2dc, 2hdc, 1hdc & 1sc, 2sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1hdc, 2dc, 1hdc, join round with sl st
- Fasten off and weave in end. Secure center tail and leave long for fastening to finished piece (or weave in if using heart for bunting) I recommend using my invisible finish method for a professional look.
*For added stability and finished look one row of sl st can be placed around heart, either in same color or in a different color.
I prefer the way it looks when the sl st is placed in the back loops only. However if you use this method you should sl st in both loops at the center (indent) part of the heart and do a sc instead at the tip (point) of the heart.
To make into a pin
place pin in desired position (center of heart)
Thread needle small needle and double thread, triple tie knot at end and cut as close as possible to knot. Pull on knot to make sure it is secure. Begin secure pin to heart with thread. Pull first stitch through center of thread so that you catch the knot. Be sure to surface stitch from the back only, so that no stitches show through to the other side.
Pass needle through back of pin a few times to secure, cut end as short as possible
I hope you enjoyed this free crochet pattern for a flower in a heart pin/brooch.
You may also enjoy these other free heart and valentines day patterns
Layered Daisy in a Heart
great for garlands, or turn into a pin using thread