image courtesy Sweet Potato Crochet Creations
- This pattern contains affiliate links. You can click on any yarn or material highlighted to purchase
Caron Simply Soft or similar in two to four colors
8 dc x 4 rows = 2 inches
sc- single crochet, sc inc- sc increase, sc dec- single crochet decrease, dc- double crochet, FPtr- front post treble crochet, ch(s)- chain(s), fdc- foundation double crochet, sk- skip or skipped, st(s)- stitch(es), sp- space
Flower: worked (*dc, ch 3* 5 times, dc) around post of next st, turn work 180 degrees and then (*dc, ch 3* 5 times, dc) around post of prev st (Pictures on last page of pattern)
- All joins are with a sl st to first st of round.
- Hat is worked from bottom up.
- I used the chainless starting dc for the beginning of each row in the band. The chainless starting dc eliminates the need for a starting ch on the turned rows. Link for Moogly’s tutorial on the chainless starting dc: http://www.mooglyblog.com/chainless-starting-double-crochet. If you do not want to use the chainless starting double crochet, ch 2 after turning (this will not count as the first dc).
- Starting chs do not count as sts.
- On the band of the hat when doing color changes, you can either drop one color and pick up the other or finish off and join. If you drop color A and pick up color B, then when you change back to A, you will cut B and weave in the end later.
- The flowers may require some light blocking or can be tacked in place so they don’t curl.