Pretty up Your Pickles with this
Mason Jar Cover
I recently made some delicious pickles. I gave a few bottles as gifts and decided to pretty them up a bit with a little crochet. This mason jar cover is easy and quick to make and, as an extra special bonus, it doubles as a dish cloth.
This cover fits perfectly on a Kerr pint jar but can be used on any mason jar. I hope you find lots of uses for this free crochet pattern.
This pattern is written using my seamless method. For more clarification on this method you can read this post and watch the video
worsted weight cotton yarn- I used Peaches N’ Cream
5.5mm (I) hook
embroidery needle to weave in ends mason jar to put it on… pickle recipe, if you so wish
Abbreviations and Stitches used:
mc/r– magic circle/ring (watch this video tutorial)
st– stitch sp– space
sl st– slip stitch insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch, (two loops on hook), pull loop closest to hook through other loop
hdc– half double crochet yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through all three loops
dc– double crochet yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through first two loops on hook, yarn over and pull through last two loops
- Make a mc/r and sl st to close. stitch 10hdc. Sl st into 1st hdc to join round.
- Ch 2. Skip 1st st. 2dc in next st and in every st around. Last 2dc will be placed in the stitch previously left empty. Sl st into the top of the 1st dc to join round. <20>
- Ch2. Skip 1st st. *1dc in next st. 2dc in next st. Repeat from * around. Last 2dc will be placed into the stitch previously left empty. Sl st into the top of the 1st dc to join round. <30>
- Ch2. Skip 1st st. *1dc in each of the next 4 sts. 2dc in next st. Repeat from * around. Sl st into the top of the 1st dc to join round. <36>
- Ch2 and 2dc into same st. *Skip 2sts. 3dc in next st. Repeat from * around. Sl st into the top of the Ch2 to join round, changing color (if desired) on sl st. Tie tails of old color and new color together.
- Stitching over the tails from color change. Ch2 and 1hdc into the same st. 2hdc in each of the next two sts. 1sl in the space between the cluster. *2hdc in each of the next 3sts. 1sl st in the sp between the clusters. Repeat from * around. 1st st in the last space between clusters, before you get back to where you started. Sl st into the top of the ch2 to join round.
- Fasten off and weave in ends
- Using two strands, Ch 70. Fasten off.
- Weave drawstring through the spaces in the cover.
- Place on jar, tighten drawstring and tie in a bow.
Be sure to let the recipient know that the cover also doubles as a dish cloth… waste not, want not.
I hope you enjoyed this mason jar cover, free crochet pattern. If you’d like to make my Easy Peasy Pickles as well, my recipe can be found HERE. If you like what you see, please share it.. pin it or tell a friend.
Have fun, and as always…